Monday 23 September 2013

Book of the Week- If You Decide to go to the Moon by Faith McNulty


This week my Princess was learning all about the Moon.  One day I picked up another of the many   books we had borrowed from the library on this theme and started to read it to her.  I hadn't had time to read through this book before sharing it with my daughter.  I had just flipped through the pages, observing that the illustartions were interesting, but it was fairly long.  I wasn't really expecting anything very special...but then I started to read.

This book is written in second person- the speaker is talking directly to the audience.  It is like a guidebook to what to expect if you decide to visit the moon.  They writing style was so unique that it captured my daughter and my attention right away.  We both learned a bunch, but it certainly wasn't a dry book of facts.  Did you know that there is no sound on the moon, since there is no air for it to travel through?  Did you know that the flag that was place on the moon by the Americans was knocked over when they left the moon and that it was created with wires to make the flag appear to be blowing in the wind- even though there is no wind?  But what I loved most about this book was how the author and illustrator worked together to give you an idea of what it might actually feel like to be on the moon.

There is a surprising pull-out page at the end of the book, showing life on planet earth- made possible by the water and air we need to protect.  Its contrast to the black and grey pictures of the moon is striking.  I highly recommend this book for any child who has an interest in space or wants to learn more about the moon, and anyone who just wants a good story to read.

Do you have any favorite books that are full of facts presented in a fun way?

No comments:

Post a Comment