Thursday 5 September 2013

Book of the Week- The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf



Princess- "Little Pig, Let me Come In!"
Angel- "Not by my chinny chin chin!"
Princess- "Then I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!"
Crash!  Down goes anther house of blocks followed by giggles and squeals of delight.

My children can often be heard acting out the story of "The Three Little Pigs".  I'm sure I've read at least half a dozen different versions of this traditional story to them.  It neven ceases to be a favorte.  We've already read and enjoyed some spoofs of this story, including "The True story of the Three Little Pigs".  Sometimes when the kids want a story and I don't have a book on hand, I tell them my own version, "The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig".

Recently we discovered a new version of the old story at the public library.  My book recommendation this week is "The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf".  With bright illustrations that draw in both my girls and a humerous story line that keeps me saying yes to the "read it again Mommy" requests this book is a winner in our home.  The story is of the three little pigs, recently laid off from their job on the farm, who go out to make homes for themselves.  The somewhat bad wolf comes along and is surprised to find that he can actually blow down a house!  I like that the wolf is portrayed as not too good, not too bad.  Often times the characters in literature for young children are very one-dimensional.  This book shows the wolf in a different light.  I love the surprise ending of this story, but you'll have to read it yourself to find that.

What is your family's favorite fairy tale?

No comments:

Post a Comment